Last weekend, I completed my second sprint triathlon!
Even though it was my second tri, it was my first open water triathlon (the swim portion for my last tri was in a pool).
In a way I felt more confident going into this race because I had one under my belt. But I’ll be honest….I was a tiny bit disappointed as I crossed that finish line. Let’s look at the negatives and positives of the race:
- I practiced two open water swims prior to race day
- I had been on my bike more (maybe 5 or 6 more times?)
- The weather wasn’t going to be 40 degrees like it was in April!
- It was raining – no, POURING at the start of the race and during the swim, which threw me off
- During the swim, I lost this;
…..which is the timing chip that is velcroed to your ankle. I tried to tread water and get it back on – yeah, that wasn’t workin’! So I swam over to a lifeguard on a surfboard and got it back on.
- I lost the chain on my bike as a I got started….and I have no idea how to fix it when that happens! (I know, I know….I am going to learn). Thankfully after looking around with a panicked expression, a spectator came to help.
- It was my first time riding my bike on wet roads…on a hilly, curvy course at that!
Here’s how my first tri compares with my second:
Triathlon 1: (400 meter swim, 10 mile bike, 3.1 mile run)
Triathlon 2: (500 meter swim, 10 mile bike, 3.1 mile run)
So definitely room for improvement in the swim and bike, but at least my transitions were awesome this time?
Filed under: Uncategorized